HOW TO USE HTML HEADING TAGS FOR SEO
In HTML, Heading Tags or H tags are used to distinguish the heading and sub-heading on a page from the rest of the content.
There are six type of heading tag
- H1 – Main Heading
- H2 – Sub Heading of H1
- H3 – Sub Heading of H2
- H4 – Sub Heading of H3
- H5 – Sub Heading of H4
- H6 – Sub Heading of H5
These all H1-H6Â are known are HTML Tags and they are also very well known to Webmasters of Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other search engine. In webmaster dictionary they are know by Header Tags, Head Tags and SEO Header Tags. In all of the above mentioned tags H1 tag is the most important tag and H6 is the least important tag. In HTML, the hierarchy of these tags should be followed( i.e. H1 to H6). This mean skipping any tag number in the heading structure will break the whole hierarchy and that is not ideal for ON-PAGE SEO.
For Example, if introduction on your webpage is starting from H1 tag and followed by an H3 tag, This will break the hierarchy, You should have to use H2 tag instead of H3 tag. If you use H3 after H1 then this will not a SEO-Friendly structure. Every page should have a single H1 tag and this tag is the most important tag in SEO and all webmaster like this.
ADVANTAGES OF HEADER TAGS:
The heading tag is used to represent different sections of web page content. It has an impact on both the SEO and usability of your site.
The header tag or heading tags are used to represent different sections of a web page. They play a vital role on both of Your SEO and usability of your site.
HEADING TAGS IN THE EYE OF SEO:
- Relevancy: To establish relevancy, Search Engine Crawlers compare the content in the header tag with related section’s content.
- Keyword Consistency:Â Search engine bots crawl forÂ keyword consistencyÂ between the heading tags and other contents of the page.
- The Worth of an h1 Tag:Â The h1 is the most valuable tag and it should never be missed on any page. Search Engine Bots / Spiders notice to the words used in the h1 tag as it should contain a basic description of the page content, just as the page title does.
- Enriched User Experience:Â Heading tags helps the user to understand what the page is all about. It gives the idea of the page content to the user, and Search Engine always gives importance to their users. This mean Heading Tag is must tag in SEO.
HEADER TAGS FROM A USABILITY POINT OF VIEW:
- For a user of the website who use browser, it should be easier for him/her to navigate content’s section by referring to the properly structured heading of that page.
- The H1 Tag of the webpage provide users a quick overview of the content that is to follow on the page.
- By reading different heading tags, user can easily navigate to the section of his/her interest.
- Today the primary use of heading tag is for Search Engine Optimization and not to gain the larger and more prominent fonts. But it should be presented so a webpage should look natural for reader.
NOT TO DO LIST WITH HEADING TAGS:
- Do not mess your header tags with your keywords.
- Do not try to use more than one H1 Tag on a webpage, usually Web Pages will have single H1 Tag. Using Multiple H1 Tags makes Search Engines think this is an attempt to include more keywords for SEO. It is a good practice to divide the content in to two separate topics on individual web pages with their own H1 Tags. This is good in SEO, however, multiple H1 tag is allowed.
- Don’t hide heading tags, thisÂ will result in penalties. Especially when the hidden part is used as Keywords.
- Try not to repeat your heading tags on different pages of your site. Every page should have a unique heading tag in your entire website.
- Don’t use identical content in both your H1 tags and Meta Tags.
- Don’t use heading tags for styling purpose, use them for presenting organized structure of your content. Just use CSS for Styling purpose.